Monday, June 22, 2009

Building Blog Traffic

I am new to the blogging community. I just joined for the sake of friend who would keep pestering me about their blogsite and its content. They would force me to go and visit their blogsite once in awhile (I agree, I never told them that they forced me, otherwise I would have been crucified the next day, may be my boss would have fired me when he would come to know that I don’t visit his blog site regularly). Ok enough of anecdote and I want to confess that once I started writing my own Blogs on Random topic, I have started enjoying it. So what the next phase of the Blog. That brings me to the next topic.



What should I write so that I can enjoy and my unknown reader enjoy too. Would I be interested in writing about war and my reader would be craving for peace. Well I can write about war but it will only me who will be reading the blog (rest assured, they will be ditching me next moment). So this brings us to a very important thing. The content of the blog. In my view, content is the most important thing to keep the reader coming back to you. Remember watch LOTR over and over again because the content of the moving and story telling was most fascinating. Other example I can give you is about Harry Potter book. Why do people stand in long queue so that they can grab first peace of the book? It’s the content of the material. So number 1 goes to the content of the blog.



Virtually you have to write something that interest most of the targeted audience. Your audience may range from 10-year kid to 80-year grandpa. So you have to keep their interest in your blog alive. Another thing about content is that you have to worry about time-frame. Why Shakespeare is still read in 21st or 22nd century? What ever he wrote is timeless. His content surpasses time-frame with ease. I don’t want to say that everyone become Shakespeare (or they could if they had the capabilities), but what I am trying to say is that write something which can be still relevant say 30 year from now (when I am 70 year old, if I am alive).



The second most important criteria is the original content. In the world of electronic media, it is very easy to copy from somewhere and put things in your or mine blog. As a starter, it sounds very easy and may be you will be able to bring some reader to your blog. But if you look within self, I am sure you will know the answer. I am not even going to there to answer for you but many of us can do it. If you like someone content, copy the main idea, paraphrase them and write on your blog with a definitely reference to the original source. Remember writing master theses in school and mentioning reference for their work.



So write something of your idea. Let me honest with you, even this article, the one you are reading write know is not my idea, I searched on the google how to build traffic for blog, read a lot about them, but I was never happy or content with their entire thing, so I decided to write my own ethic code. I call these as ethic code. Now coming back to topic, what should I write about? Almost everything is written by someone. Nothing is left for me. How should I do? Let me tell you that there are many things you can still write about. Perhaps try to write your experience reading Harry Potter or following someone on twitter or better you can write about how you lost money listening to someone on CNBC (I won’t name him as he is more famous than me). So virtually the list is endless and you will be winner one day. So the number 2 position goes to content of the blog.



Understand that your readers are just like you and me. I was not a good reader in school and I used bunk the class or just dozed in the last bench. Now the role has reversed, you are the book and your readers are student. So what you are going to write that your readers don’t fall off or go away to some other green pasture. Write something which interests your targeted audience. Don’t treat you audience like a computer machine or a scanner. Treat them as human and you will be reward. Sometime follow some unconventional method of telling things to your reader. May be follow your heart to tell what you think about something. No one is going to come and kill you. Just mention at the bottom of the blog that this is your thought and no one should get influenced by it (just to cover your skin). Have a feeling in your word. Write few and small but write something which make your reader to come again and again to your blog to see what happened next. May be try to write a story online. But the bottom line is that your reader should be able to associate with you.



The thing I have always looked at someone blog is to try find out who is the person behind those words. Try to keep your reader informed about who you are and why you like writing blog and what are you trying to do with your blog (Are you trying to change the world or are you trying to make career by writing blog. The fans or the blog reader are your real customer. So try to be clean with your customer. Tell them a short story about yourself, who you are, what you do and what are things that interest you. It’s always good to know about someone whom I like to read. I try to associate myself with the author as much as possible so that I can get a sense of belongingness.



There are two type of blog, one is professional and the other is personal. If you have read this thing, what do you feel about it? Definitely it is not professional blog, it is more of personal. Even most the sentence structured would be not able to pass the word processing of correct English. So who cares? I write with my heart out. So if my readers like it, he will ask me to keep this thing like this. So take your plunge and start pouring in your thoughts and let me know. Post your blogsite the comment section and I will come and read it. Or better email me.


© Lost in Random World

My email id is lostinrandomworld@gmail.com

Twit This!

No comments:

Post a Comment